About the Retreat
The Sanctuary. . . your sanctuary
The pole design was chosen specifically to allow the entire structure to merge seamlessly into the sloping hillside while at the same time providing an unimpeded and restful view of the native bush reserve below.
Two central wood-burning fireplaces are complemented by elegantly restful rich-brown leather sofas and oriental rugs.
The elements come together seemlessly to combine comfort with quality, inviting you to feel at ease the moment you arrive.
The Sanctuary is not normal, it’s natural…..
Subtle elegance and luxury are the conscious décor themes
of The Sanctuary. Above all, the ambience is one of
tranquility while at the same time adhering to best environment practices.
As far as possible all the furnishings throughout have been bought in New Zealand. Of particular note is the
artwork and object d’art. Australian artist, Lynley Robson visited the Bay of Islands and stayed at the lodge. Her
artwork found throughout the sanctuary reflects her vision.
Maori weavings and art work dot the walls throughout the Retreat, designed and created by local artists.
- Gas hot water on demand for all guest bathrooms
- Recycling all waste including composting organic material
- Eco light bulbs, reverse cycle air conditioning and electrical appliances
- Half flush cisterns and flow restrictors
- New Zealand-made toiletries
- Comfort and quiet is assured with our child policy – 12 years and older are welcome. Younger children welcome for Exclusive Use of property.